Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Pollworker Training


I spent three hours this afternoon taking Pollworker training. We used these new machines for the first time last November in the general election. We always have to go through training before each election. This is my fifth year in working the voting polls and I must say that I didn't realize how much care was taken to make sure that each voter got the opportunity to cast their vote and then how much care was taken to protect that vote until I began participating in the process. At least that is the way it is here in Hocking County. It is painstaking work but it is important and necessary. Election day is a looooooong day, let me tell you! But first we go to the polling place the night before and spend approximately 2 hours setting everything up. The next morning we have to be there at 5:45am and that night we are usually packed up and ready to go by 8:00pm. Being a presiding judge, I have to take all of the equipment back to the courthouse before going home. It does make for a long day, but on the plus side, I work with some really wonderful people. Also, we carry in food and it is usually delicious and food that I don't ordinarily have, so that is a treat! I usually take a book and magazines, because I am such a reader and that helps when there is a lull in voting and in the conversation. So there you have it! My take on working the voting polls! :-)

Oh, and let me say this: I am one of the youngest pollworkers and I am 54, people! It would be so great to see more young people getting involved in this process. I tell you, I don't know how much longer some of these older people can go on, bless their hearts. So if you are a young person reading this, consider going to your local board of elections and volunteering to work the polls! You do get paid for this, too, so that is a plus!


Hope you are all having a great day!!!

No comments: