Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Two or three things to share

Ed and I were doing some dusting and cleaning around the house here one day and he had finished running the vacuum. I have this wonderful spiced cider spray from the White Barn Candle Co. I was going to spray in each room and Ed told me to give it to him and just wait a few minutes. So when the central air came on, he sprayed a couple of shots into the intake register and VOILA'! The whole house soon smelled wonderful!!! How's that for a time AND step saver?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Also, I have a round patio table that is made of the heavy plastic like the lawn chairs. It is white and every morning I go out and wipe it off but leaves or flower petals often leave stains. So to remedy this, I just pour a few drops of bleach on it and wipe the top thoroughly with a couple of paper towels and VOILA'! I have a beautiful white tabletop once again!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Yesterday for dinner I fixed stir-fry and wanted to put a sweet and sour sauce on it but didn't have any, so I searched on the internet for just a bit and found this recipe and it is delicious! Here it is if you would care to try it. And the best thing: I usually have all of the ingredients needed to fix it!
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
4 tablespoons distilled white vinegar
4 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon catsup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with3 tablespoons water
Combine all the ingredients except the cornstarch mixture in a small saucepan. Place the saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat to low. Stir the cornstarch mixture and slowly pour it into the simmering liquid while stirring constantly for about 2 minutes, or until the sauce thickens and becomes clear. You can use this as a dip or a sauce.

I used beef broth because I didn't have chicken broth and it was fine. I also added about a tablespoon more of cornstarch to make it as thick as I wanted it. Hope you like it! Daniel and I are both "dippers", meaning we love to dip most anything into something. Thusly, I have always kept ALOT of condiments in my fridge. We love the sweet and sour sauce from McDonald's and dip our fries and sandwiches in it when we eat there. Erin calls Daniel the condiment king and SHE now has a fridge full of condiments! *smile*
Oh, and to fix my stir-fry, I just grilled three boneless, skinless chicken breasts after first seasoning them really good. While they were cooking, I got out a bag of frozen stir-fry veggies, poked the bag a few times with a fork, on one side and popped them into the microwave for about 4 minutes. They cook right in the bag you bought them in. Next, I cooked angel hair pasta in my huge skillet. I heated the salted water in the skillet, put the pasta in, turned the heat off and it cooked in nothing flat. I drained the water off and added the vegetables. I cut the chicken up into little pieces and added it. Then I topped it all off with the sweet and sour sauce, tossed it all together, made sure it was nice and hot and there you have it! It is simple, yet delicious!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You both are quite resourceful! :)

Jewel said...

Why thank you, Barbara. *smile* I have to be now that I don't get around quite as nimbly and quickly as I used to. *wink* You wouldn't believe some of the little things I've learned to do to help myself. Hope your week is going well!! ((HUGS))