Saturday, September 01, 2007

"Take me home, country roads....

....to the place I belong.....West Virginia, Mountain Mama.....take me home, country roads....."Ed and I packed a few things and drove down through the hills and mountains of West Virginia. We went to the New River Gorge and Bridge. We were there about 15 years ago, perhaps a little longer. At that time, you could see the visitor/information center from Rt. 19 and also a clear view of the bridge from the visitors' center. The trees and foliage have now grown so much that you now have to walk down to a viewing platform to get THIS view of the bridge. It is the longest steel arch bridge in the Western Hemisphere. It was the longest steel arch bridge in the world but Japan now has the longest bridge of its kind.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
While Ohio State handily won their season opener against Youngstown State, this was THE sports story of the day, the month, the year.....maybe EVER! Go Bucks!

5 comments:

MotherT said...

OHHHH, you're making me homesick!!! If you think the view at New River is beautiful, someday, you need to make the trip to Sandstone Falls with me and Ross!!! Or Bluestone. Or Pipestem. Or Greenbrier. Oh how I want to go home!!!!

Jewel said...

You're from West Virginia? I didn't know that! My mother was a native West Virginian, so that makes me half,hm? *smile* I'll have to look those places up!

Jewel said...

Hey, and just so you know, I took this picture that I posted! Isn't it great? I just used my trusty Minolta digital camera! I thought about sending it to the chamber of commerce or tourism group in that area, in case they might want to use it in some of their publications. I looked on the web for pictures and honestly, mine looked really good in comparison to alot of them! *smile*

Marianne said...

Omigoodness! Could those be more lovely pictures? Thank you for sharing!

Jewel said...

Hi Marianne! You are welcome! I am just so thankful that they turned out so well! I love beautiful scenery! Thanks for stopping by!