Sunday, September 02, 2007

ADA

Ed and I spent Friday night in Summersville, W.Va. which is just north of the New River Gorge where we went Saturday, as I told of in this post. We stayed at a Super 8 Motel. When we checked in, I asked if they had a handicap-accessible room, which they did. Well, we took our things in and were getting settled in. I coudn't find a place to hang our clothes and I asked Ed if he saw one. He said, "Well, they probably figured that if you're handicapped you can't get out of your clothes anyway, so why would you need a place to hang them up." Well, this struck me as really funny and we had a good laugh! I could just picture me staying in my clothes forever. LOL Oh, and we finally found the clothes rack but they had put a small refrigerator, microwave AND small personal safe underneath it so I don't see how you could have hung your clothes up even if you wanted to! And like Ed said, they figured you were handicapped so....oh never mind! *smile* Another thing: you wouldn't believe how lowwww the commode was! I know that is kind of personal, but it WAS! LOL Now, mind you, they had the bars and all to hold on but they only help so much. I mean, when you get down so low......okay, I'll stop there, but I will say that it can be REALLY difficult to get back up, okay? LOL BUT on the flip side of THAT scenario.......on our way home, we stopped at a very nice roadside rest, just south of Parkersburg. Well, I went into the handicapped stall and I am not kidding, I had to stand wayyyyy up on my tippytoes to sit down and then when I was seated, my feet were dangling, not even touching the floor!!! I felt kind of silly, actually, like a little kid! Sitting there swinging my legs back and forth. Well, I figured I might as well have a little fun while I was WAYYYYY up there! LOL Oh, and just to let you know, I'm just a hair over five feet tall here. *grin* There MUST be some height guidelines for these handicap facilities whether it is a roadside rest or a motel, surely!! You know, you never think about these kinds of things, until you need them. Like handrails and ramps instead of stairs and big, old heavy doors to maneuver through AND the height of commodes. Such is my life. LOL I am just so thankful that I can smile and laugh about it. You make the adjustments. You press on.
We had laid down to read for a bit before going to sleep Friday night and Ed asked me if I would adjust the air conditioner, so I stood up, put my arms up like I was getting ready to take off and asked him if he wanted that done sometime tonight. *grin* It can take me awhile sometimes to get everything moving in the right direction. He said it would be really nice if I could manage it. *smile* So I did.
Oh and that ADA up there in the title? American Disabilities Act. (Just in case you didn't know. *grin*)
Gotta run! Well, okay, run might be a bit of a stretch. I gotta get moving. *getttttiiinnnnggg uuuupppp* Heeeere we gooooooo.......See ya later!!! *smile*

9 comments:

the lizness said...

check it out! :) mom's going to flip when she sees this post - her family is from that area.

MotherT said...

My daughter knows me well!!! (See homesick comments on previous post!)

I've been at that rest area below Parkersburg! That handicapped stall had to have been created for someone who was 5'10" or taller!!

Jewel said...

Hi Liz and Theresa! I've always loved W.Va., possibly because of my mom's roots there. I just love the laid back feel of it, you know and how everyone says "Haaahh", a.k.a. "Hi"!

Anonymous said...

Jewell, Thanks for the laugh today. And thanks for your great attitude.
www.iluv2prshim.wordpress.com

Anonymous said...

LOL... I was laughing out loud on this one! My dd kept coming in and asking what I was laughing out. The mental pictures were just too much. You either feel like one of the seven dwarfs or the Jolly Green Giant at some of these restroom stalls. =) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your merry heart is a blessing!

Jewel said...

Hi, Sis. Hurst! You are welcome for the laugh. *smile*
And Tracy AND Barbara....*smile*
I wish I could say that I always see the silver lining, but honestly, some days are better than others.....most days are better actually and I am thankful for that. Watch out for those restrooms! *grin* You never know what you might find!

Anonymous said...

HMMMMMM, I'm PHYSICALLY CHALLENGED and I change my clothes everyday, but then again I would not stay at a Super 8 Motel.
Tony

Jewel said...

Ed was just teasing me, Tony. *smile* He keeps me laughing and smiling through it all, you know? It was a nice Super 8. They just need to rethink a couple of things in their handicap-accessible room, I think. Hope you had a good Labor Day weekend!