Thursday, September 20, 2007

A couple of other things

Now, I will be the first to admit that I am by no means a techie, but I do know the basics of computer ownership. *grin* Anywayyyyy, I learned a couple of little tidbits this past week about my computer and thought I would share just in case they might come in handy for you.
Many times, when I am opening an email or webpage that has alot of images, all of the images do not load. Well....Erin was here with me one day and told me to just right click in the square where the picture SHOULD be. A drop-down menu will appear. You just have to click on the "Show the picture" option and the picture(s) will load. Now, this may be more prevalent on dial-up. I don't know, but I hope it comes in handy for some of you as it did for me.
Also, I was needing a blank floppy disk. My CD burner is on the blink. :-/ I didn't have a blank floppy disk. So, I put an old one in, opened "my computer", then "3 1/2 floppy (A:)". The floppy had some documents on it that I wanted to keep. After looking around for a little, I noticed that to the left I was given the option to move the file. So, I clicked on "move the file" and was given options of where I could move the file to. I moved them to "my documents" and next thing I knew, I had a blank floppy disk. Now, this may seem simple to you, but this was how I learned most everything I know about my pc. I just picked up little hints and tricks from here and there. I also get an email periodically that offers alot of great tips and tricks. You can sign up for it or read past tips and so on at World Start. Worldstart has a wealth of basic, understandable information for computer users and also about Exel, Word, Powerpoint, and Outlook, to name a few.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tend to learn computer issues the same way, as I come up to things and need to learn them. I do have my oldest son here to ask questions of, and that helps immensely. But I still learn as I go. If I tried to take a class or read a book and get it all at once, it would be overwhelming.

Jewel said...

I hope you can find some useful tips on the website I mentioned, Barbara. I taught a beginner's computer and internet class at the library where I worked. It was comprised mostly of older people, senior citizens and it was so rewarding. Many of them thought they would NEVER be able to learn to use a computer or surf the web, but, in time, they did. Many of them went on to purchase their own computers and know more than I did! I loved teaching that class!

Anonymous said...

Wow the floppy disk, i remember them.

I remember the five and a quarter floppy... Starting to show my age a little, come to think of it my first PC used tapes...

I am really feeling old:)

Jewel said...

Tapes, Aidan? Never heard of that and I AM old! *grin* Not really. (meaning "not really old") But honestly, I've never heard of a pc using tapes. And you, my dear young man, are so far from old. Enjoy and relish your youth!