Monday, February 05, 2007

Last fall I applied for S.S. Disability. I did so with a bit of trepidation because I feel that getting disability sometimes bring with it a bad reputation. I know of people who are on disability and I've questioned whether or not they really need it. (I'm being really honest here, okay?) But when I started having my health problems, I began to think quite differently. I look at people so differently now. There is no way for me to know what they are suffering. There is an old saying: "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes." How very true that statement is. When I've had to use the motorized cart at Walmart or other stores, I've had people give me "the look", that says: "Why are YOU riding on that thing? You're just lazy. You just need to lose some weight. Walking would probably help you to feel better. You just need to exercise more." All of the same thoughts I've had about people I've seen riding the motorized carts. As I said before, I've had such a change of heart and attitude. It has been humbling and made me so much more compassionate and understanding toward others.
Okay...back to the disability. I had applied last fall, was turned down and let my appeal date come and go, thinking I should just forget about it. In the meantime, I applied for a few jobs that I thought I might be able to do, interviewed for a couple of them, but was never offered the positions. Then I heard about the companies offering people jobs at home. Very legitimate companies and I was so excited. But that didn't work out either, as we are not able to get DSL here at home.
I was praying about all of this and told the Lord that if none of these opportunities worked out that I would take it as a sign that I should once again apply for disability. So I made an appointment to go refile. The first time I applied, I did so online, but then my computer went on the blink, so I made an appointment at the S.S. office in Lancaster. You might know it would be on the coldest morning of the year! :-/ I almost called and cancelled but I didn't! So I gathered up all of the necessary forms and info and off Ed and I went. I prayed so fervently that I would get a really nice person to help me, not some old grumpy person who thought I was just looking for a hand-out. Please, Lord. Wellllll, I was directed to one of the nicest ladies I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. She was a gem. (Thank you, Lord.) She was so kind and helpful and really encouraged me to pursue getting disability because it will take several months and no doubt, entail going through the appeals process more than once. There is a good possibility that I will not get a monthly check but that I will be eligible for Medicare which would be wonderful.
So after my appointment was over, Ed and I went over to the food court (the Social Security Office is in River Valley Mall) to get some lunch. We had chinese from Mark Pi's and it was delicious. After we finished lunch, we were sitting there watching the people and I said I might as well look at my fortune, so I cracked open my fortune cookie and read it. I couldn't believe it! It said, "Your present plans will be successful." I showed it to Ed and we both just sat there and the tears came. Now don't get me wrong, I don't put my hope in fortune cookies, but I do believe the Lord can use things such as this to speak to us. I had just so dreaded going up there and then to have such a lovely, kind woman assist me. I am so thankful that the Lord went ahead of me and prepared the way and let words of encouragement come to me. He is such an awesome, caring Saviour. I never cease to be amazed at how particularly He cares about the little things in our lives. "He's a wonder, He's a wonder, He's a Mighty God...." Yes, He is. Jesus, My Rock.

No comments: