Friday, January 09, 2009

Please be gentle

I have wonderful news! I am doing wonderfully in my continuing recovery from two hip-replacement surgeries! My last one (the right side) was done on November 11. I am now walking with just a cane, most of the time. Sometimes, here at home, I take off without it. Meaning, I am walking so well, that I simply forget to grab it! I only use my rollating walker when I go to the grocery store, library or when I know I am going to be doing ALOT of walking.

That's my trusty cane in the picture. I believe it was Erin that pointed out to me that the handle was a snake's head! She's right! I hadn't even really noticed. I bought it a few years ago when I first needed assistance in walking. I bought it at a local craft mall and just liked the way the handle felt in my hand. Guess you could call me a "snake-handler"? LOL

I went for my first and only follow-up visit this past Monday and the doctor was simply amazed at how well I am doing.
He has prescribed physical therapy which I will begin next Tuesday here at our hospital in Logan. I will be going three times a week for four weeks.

I'm just a little anxious. I've heard these horror stories about physical therapy. That it is worse than the surgery and on and on. Now, I am not a wimp, okay? I've dealt with pain for the last 4-5 years. And then there were the surgeries. Someone actually asked me: "Is hip-replacement surgery very painful?" Uh....compared to what? LOL Uh......that would be a YES! They are very painful but very well worth it because I am now almost pain-free!!! The pain I have now is muscular because I have to get my muscle strength built back up again in my legs, hips and back and also my range-of-motion, which the physical therapy will indeed help me do.

Still, I don't want to be a wimp. I've heard that I will probably be dealing with higher pain levels once I begin therapy. I haven't taken pain medication for over a month except for an occasional tylenol. I've taken pain medication for 4-5 years!!! I am so grateful for the progress I've made and you wouldn't believe how fast I can go with my cane! LOL Don't worry! I'm very careful!!! *smile*

I know, I know...no pain, no gain. But just how painful might it be? I will probably just have to wait and see, hm? I know it will be worth it! To think that I might be walking without a cane before long!!!
Thank you, Jesus, for the surgeries I've been able to have, for the good doctors, for our insurance and for watching over me through it all and for my amazing recovery.

8 comments:

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

Rehab isn't any fun, but it is a necessary evil. Here's hoping your rehab goes as well as your surgeries did.

Jewel said...

Thanks, Sir. I know that what you say is true and it is necessary. Thanks for the good wishes!

MotherT said...

You probably will have to use more pain relief for the first couple of sessions, but you should notice a big difference quickly in your muscle tone.

Remember to do your homework!!! **smile**

Jewel said...

Yes, I've heard about the homework, too. Here's hoping I can do it! AND take it!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you're doing so well! I was afraid of physical therapy, having heard of "physical terrorists," LOL. But I had a real sweet girl. Shorter and smaller than me -- I wondered what would happen if I fell! But I looked forward to it to, knowing it was the best thing for me after TM. I wasn't sore, but then I didn't have the issues you do. Getting those muscles to relearn what they're supposed to do, especially after they've been cut into, is bound to be painful. But not much, I hope, and I hope it all goes well for you.

chantell said...

I about died when I read "Guess you can call me a snake-handler?"

That was SO funny. Omg.

Glad you've had such a wonderful recovery! All the best with PT.

Denise said...

You are very much in my thoughts and prayers. I love you.

Jewel said...

Hi Barbara....well, I am going to tell them to take it somewhat easy with me because I DO know how far I can push myself without injury. BTW, what is TM?
Hey, Chantell! Yes, can you believe I came up with that one on my own? *smile*
Thanks, Denise, I'll keep you posted as to how I am doing with the PT! I hope you are doing better!