Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Election 2006

I am the presiding judge for precinct Green 2 in Hocking County. I have worked the voting polls for the past seven years. Except for the presidential election in 2004, the voter turnout has always been well below fifty percent. Yesterday was a record-setting day.

In the past few weeks, leading up to the election, you could tell that this was going to be an important election. Our training classes were very thorough and meticulous. As November 7th approached, the feeling that this election was going to be very pivotal for America, only increased.

Yesterday morning, when I unlocked the door to the polling place, there was a long line of eager voters. The line never abated. People were eager to vote and came prepared to vote, having gotten all of their information in order at the election office prior to the election and having their identification ready and in hand when they got there. Even though the line was long most of the day, people were amazingly patient. And those people who did not have the proper ID more often than not, made the decision to leave and get the proper ID info and come back, rather than vote provisionally. It was so evident that people were determined to vote and see change.

And, my oh my, have things changed. I am not sure that it has all been for the good. Nevetheless, the Democrats have succeeded in accomplishing an overwhelming victory. Now we must prepare ourselves for the next two years of watching a monumental struggle between the White House, President Bush and the Democrats. It is not going to be a pretty sight, I'm afraid, and I doubt that much will be accomplished. I've already read somewhere that an investigation of President Bush and "his Whitehouse" is in the works. Oh, joy and gladness.......

This was a bit of an interesting read on Yahoo yesterday: An article telling who, in the Democratic party, was going to be in charge of what in the Senate now. I don't even want to talk about it right now.....*sighhhhhh* I'm just thankful that, in the end, God is in control. And that is all I have to say about that.....

No comments: