Thursday, May 18, 2006

Daniel's first sermon

I feel very humbled in my spirit today. You see, our son, Daniel, spoke to the church last night for the very first time. He spoke about having the right foundation. He began by reading a summary of the life of Lance Armstrong and all of the obstacles he faced while endeavoring to achieve his goals. Daniel talked of how Armstrong was able to overcome terrible setbacks and go on to victory through sheer determination and grit. (Daniel used bigger words than those but I can't remember what they were. *feeble grin*) How much more are we able to be overcomers if our foundation is built on the word of the Lord and our relationship with Him. I must be honest and tell you that I sat in my pew with my mouth wanting to just hang open. (But I controlled it, you will be happy to know :-) I mean, I just couldn't believe this was Daniel up there. He appeared confident, prepared and he delivered his message with humility and compassion. He used a bopping buddy as an example of getting knocked down but getting right back up every time. He also mentioned that this was possible because of the balance and foundation of the bopping buddy. He compared that to our walk with the Lord. He used many scriptures, beginning with I Cor. 3:10-11. His message title was "What Foundation Are You Building On?" He asked everyone to come to the altar at the end. After Pastor Martin had closed the service, I had a few things to do, a few people to talk to and then I went to find Daniel. He and Erin were over on the steps at the right side of the altar and Daniel was in tears. I asked him what was wrong and he said, "Nothing, Mom, it is just that nothing has ever felt so right to me, except for marrying Erin. It just felt so "right" up there tonight." We talked for a little while longer and then I told him that he really did need to go and talk with the people and thank them for coming and so on. He made this mother proud and I am still in awe at how comfortable and natural he seemed to be. The Lord is so good. I heard a gentleman, a missionary, in fact, preach at family camp last year and a couple of things he said were, "Where are the young 19 and 20-year-old preachers? Where are the young evangelists? The world is stealing them away from the church by offering them careers and education, money and material gains." This is not to say that there is anything wrong with any of those things. As a mother, I pray for Daniel daily that the Lord would direct his steps and path because I want so much for him to be in the perfect will of God, for his and Erin's sake. God's plan for our lives is so much better than anything we might have mapped out. We'll see where their future together goes with the Lord. I'm excited! *smile*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome! I know exactly where he's at.