Monday, October 20, 2008

While Colin Powell, a life-long Republican, has chosen to support Obama, here in SE Ohio, I've seen another dynamic taking place among "life-long", strict party-line voters. I cannot say that I am pleased about this at all. Because I'm not. In fact, I'm apalled. Nevertheless, I know of "some" white Democratic voters who have been VERY vocal about the fact that they will NOT vote for Obama because he IS black. I mean, we are talking "dyed-in-the-wool" Democrats here, folks. Generational Democrats. But they will not vote for Obama because of his skin color. I honestly felt like someone punched me in the stomach. Not because I am an Obama supporter. I'm not. But it has nothing to do with him being black. I will be voting for McCain because the Republican party most closely adheres to supporting christian values that I feel are of the utmost importance.
There is a part of me that would love to vote for Obama. He is passionate. He is a great speaker. In my opinion, he has picked a better VP. Overall, he is a much more "attractive" candidate. His running against McCain reminds me so much of when Clinton/Gore were campaigning against Bush/Quayle in '92. Clinton/Gore made Bush/Quayle look old,boring and stale and I tell you, I felt myself WANTING to vote for Clinton but when it came time to punch that card, I HAD to go with my christian convictions and vote for Bush. I don't understand how christians can say that it DOESN'T MATTER who you vote for based on "christian values". Do we think God is not interested in how we vote? Do we think He turns a blind eye in the voting booth?
I hear people talking about the financial state that our country is in and so many are distressed, wondering where all of this turmoil is going to lead. I know this one thing: the government is not my provider. The Lord is my provider. He expects us to handle our finances wisely, conservatively and to be faithful to Him. He will see that we are taken care of. I believe this with all of my heart. I am reminded of the children of Israel when they left Egypt. They left with only those things they could carry but they never went hungry or thirsty or unclothed. Now, they may not have been happy with WHAT or HOW the Lord provided but He did provide. I believe the same is still true today.
Let me end this post by saying that you might be thinking that the voters I spoke of above are just SAYING they won't vote for Obama but when they get in that voting booth, they will. I don't believe so. While I wish with all of my heart that it wasn't so, even after all of the strides we've made as a country in overcoming racial prejudice, there is still a dark under-belly of racism alive and well in America. Needless to say, it will be more than interesting to see how this election finally turns out.
God bless America and may your hand of mercy be upon her in the coming months. Thy will be done.
"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land." II Chronicles 7:14

2 comments:

chantell said...

You were preaching it right there, Sis. Jewel. Even though I am an Obama supporter, I highly respect people who choose to vote Republican for the reasons you mentioned.

We have to vote with our consciences and trust that no matter what, in the end, God is in control.

Jewel said...

Hey, Chantell! It is going to be an election like never before, that is for sure. I just hope that voter fraud and the like isn't going to overshadow it and cause alot of confusion like the "hanging chads" did in 2000.