Friday, October 24, 2008

'Fessin up!

Okay, I wasn't going to blog about this but I WILL. I just don't want to appear to be whining too much about my physical ailments. BUT last week, somehow, someway, I managed to pull like a major muscle on the right side of my chest. Owie. I don't remember like doing it where it popped and I was writhing in pain, so I think I must have strained it repeatedly while possibly endeavoring to get out of bed by myself, INSTEAD of waiting for Ed to help me and by pushing myself up out of chairs or by pressing down on my walker as I ambulated along. Anywayyyyy, the pain got so bad, I wanted to be sure that it WAS indeed a muscle strain, so Ed took me to the ER this past Monday and , sure enough, that is what it was. Sooooo, I have been trying to rest the muscle, ice it and do what the doctor said. BUT do you know how much you use this particular muscle???? Sheesh!!! Coughing, sneezing, laughing, yawning, stretching......all of these and more affect this muscle. I almost go into a panic when I feel a sneeze coming on!!! *feeble grin* And with it being so dry here at this time of the year, I've been sneezing more than usual, it seems or perhaps it is just because of the muscle strain, I am more cognizant of sneezing?

Now, as to my hip replacement? I am doing great!! I HAVE NO PAIN IN THAT HIP ANY LONGER!!!! Can you believe it???? My incision is no longer red and puffy. I can do all of my assigned exercises, which Ed is very impressed with!! *smile* I no longer need to take pain medication though I am taking an anti-inflammatory for my muscle strain. I still have to use my walker but I no longer have to exert pressure on it like I used to. I just hold on to it lightly for balance as I am walking. (Okay, okay....I know there are those of you OUT there who are saying..."she needs more than a walker to be considered "balanced"! LOL)

Dr. Berend said that I will need physical therapy after my second hip replacement to help me regain the proper gate for walking normally and so on. I was a bit puzzled by this because I thought once I was no longer in pain, I would just naturally go back to walking like I used to before all of this happened. Hmmmm......not so. You see, I've altered my walking pattern so much over the past four years, because of the pain, that now it will be a matter of needing to learn to walk correctly again. *sigh* BUT, I can do it!!! AND I am going to do it!!! I told Erin Maree yesterday that I might even be able to wear some cute dress shoes with SMALL heels again one day and go struttin' my stuff!!!! LOL I'm just jokin' around but it would be nice. Dresses do look so much nicer with a small-heeled dress shoe, you know, girls???? *smile*

Well, I've rambled on enough for now but be prepared. I just feel like blogging like crazy for some reason!!! You have been warned!! *smile* Have a wonderful Friday, everyone!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am glad your hip is doing so well! Sorry about the muscle strain, though! Hope it feels better soon.