Saturday, January 02, 2010

Artery-clogging, sin-in-a-pan cake!! :-)

Okay....it's really called Gooey Butter Cake, which doesn't sound a whole lot better, but is it EVER delicious!! Oh my!!!
My girlfriend Pam brought it to our ladies' Christmas Party at church last month and it was to die for! And it is so simple to make!
Here is the recipe which I actually found on the back of a package of cream cheese:
Gooey Butter Cake
1 box of yellow cake mix without pudding
1 stick of butter melted
1 egg
1 8oz. package of cream cheese softened
2 eggs
1 16oz. box of powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350.
Mix together cake mix, butter and 1 egg until thick and smooth. Press into a 9X13 baking dish or pan. Mix together softened cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar until thoroughly mixed and pour onto cake mixture. Bake at 350degrees for 30-35 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with powdered sugar. Cut into squares and enjoy!!!
A calorie or fat gram count per serving was not given. (Is it any wonder? :-0)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okayyyy, I've decided the outside decorations can stay up till Easter if necessary because I'm not taking them down in this weather and these temps! Brrrrrrrrrrrrr!!! It is COLD!!! I know it's winter but these temps are below normal. Windchills below zero and all. The one enjoyable thing is the resulting snow. I just love a covering of snow on the ground in the winter. It makes the bare trees and lack of green so much more bearable.
AND remember how I said that we leave our outside Christmas lights on all day on New Year's Day? Well, ours developed a short of some kind on New Year's Eve so it was ixnay on the ightslay on New Year's Day and life went on. :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My siblings and our spouses gathered together for our annual New Year's Eve day lunch date Thursday afternoon at 2pm at Millstone BBQ. We had the best time ever, just talking, eating and enjoying eachother's company. We started this tradition after our mother passed away in 1999 and have met each year since. I always look forward to our gathering together after the busyness of Christmas, just to relax, enjoy a good meal together, converse and share the blessings of the Lord in our lives.
AND you have to know my family and that we always share our food. Meaning, we always get appetizers and pass them around and if someone has something that we've not had before, we always share a bite or six. We do enjoy eating! :-)
AND, even though we were together on New Year's Eve Day, we still called eachother the next day to wish eachother a happy and blessed New Year!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ed and I were asleep as the entering in of the new year came and went! :-) Snug in our bed as the temperature plummeted and snow fell outside! :-)
Upon rising the next morning, I liberally seasoned some plump country ribs and put them in the oven to bake. When they were done, I put them in a dutch oven and added some pungent sauerkraut to them and let them simmer while I peeled potatoes for rich, buttery mashed potatoes! I also baked light/yeast rolls. We had a delicious New Year's Day dinner!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We've slept in for the past three mornings until 7:30-8ish, which is REALLY late for us as we are usually up at 5:30 because Jaylon arrives at 6:30 each morning. It has been nice to just lay in bed, for a change.
But I do miss the little guy and can't wait to see him, hopefully, tomorrow! Erin said that he's taken a shaky step or three in the past couple of days! :-)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ANDDDD.....may we have a drumroll please?.......I read my Bible through this past year!!! Yayyyyy for me!! It is the first and, more than likely, the last time that I will do this! I mean, I read and study my Bible and I did want to be able to tell the Lord one day when I see Him that I had read EVERY word that He provided for me, BUT the likelihood of me doing so again? Welllllll......I can't say that it's gonna happen,k?
I much prefer studying passages and particular books, topics, and such. I glean much more from it.
BUT, I am so glad that I've read it through at least one time!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
That is all for tonight!
Hope you are enjoying the first days of the new year!!

6 comments:

Bethany said...

And don't forget you made your neice super-duper happy for new year's eve by giving me some of uncle ed's fabulous fudge!!!! :-) I know it's just the recipe from the marshmallow stuff, but it's soooo good! lol Too bad in 8 1/2 weeks I won't have an excuse to want it anymore and will need to stay away haha

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

The cake sounds really yummy.

Congrats on making it all the way through on your Bible reading. The first time all the way through is always the hardest.

Jewel said...

Well, enjoy it while you can, Beth! :-) Only 8 1/2 weeks till little Hayley arrives, hm? You seem to be feeling better for which I am thankful! Love you! ((HUGS))

Oh, it is, Sir, it is! Thankfully, it is all gone! And I won't be making another one any time soon! :-)
Really? (on the first time through being the hardest.) Hmm, I hadn't thought of that. Well, I am so glad that I was finally able to do it!

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I have missed you! Boy, you do not disappoint! That cake sounds fabulous. I think I just gained 5 pounds reading the recipe. YUM!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Barbara H. said...

It's been extremely cold here -- down in the teens last night, and the wind whips right through my heavy winter coat. I don't blame you for leaving the outside decorations up!

You had me with those ribs til you put in the sauerkraut -- and pungent sauerkraut at that! :-)

I've enjoyed sleeping til 7-7:30 instead of 5, too -- but no more. School starts tomorrow.

Congratulations on reading the Bible through! I do so regularly, but not within a year any more -- I like to stop to study some things in more depth or go through a book sometimes, too.

Jewel said...

I've missed you, too, Mrs. NB!!! The cake IS fabulous AND fattening! that's why I won't be making it again any time soon! :-)
Hey, Barbara! It is only 20 here today (Friday) and the windchill is making it even colder!!
Ed likes his sauerkraut right out of the bag. Me? I would rinse it and add a little sugar to it!
And thanks for the congrats! It was an accomplishment for me!