Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Warning: This is NOT diet food!

I made Fishstick Casserole for Daniel and Erin about a month ago and while it was pretty good, I knew that it needed some tweaking. *smile* I originally found the recipe in a Taste of Home magazine.
Soooo, I fixed it for them again Monday evening, changed up a few things and it was delicious!!! BUT I forgot to take a picture of it! Anywayyy...here is the recipe and it definitely is not diet food! *smile*

Fishstick Casserole

1 bag of frozen hashbrown potatoes
1 large box of fishsticks (made from whole fish, not minced)
1 1/2 cups of milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1 2-cup package of shredded cheddar cheese

Empty the frozed hashbrowns into a large bowl and with a fork, make sure they are all broken apart and separated.
Add the milk and stir thoroughly.
Salt and pepper liberally and mix with your hands.
Add the butter/margarine and mix this through the potatoes with your hands.
Do the same with the cheddar cheese.
Put the potatoes in a 9x13 greased baking dish.
Place the fishsticks in even rows on the top of the potatoes.
Bake at 375 for 45 minutes or until the casserole begins to bubble slightly around the edges and the fishsticks crisp up.

This is absolutely delicious! If I wasn't fixing it for the kids, I might add some finely chopped onion, too. I googled Fishstick Casserole and came up with alot of versions and variations but I was quite pleased with how mine turned out!! And it is soooo easy and doesn't require alot of "foreign" ingredients that I would have to go out and buy and spend a fortune on! *smile*

6 comments:

Mr. and Mrs. Nurse Boy said...

I think my kids might actually eat this!

Mrs. Nurse Boy

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

I'm not a seafood eater at all (and my wife's favorite resturant is Red Lobster). Leave the fish out, and it sounds pretty good.

Jewel said...

Oh, I bet they would love it, Mrs. NB!! Let me know if you try it,k?
Hmmmm....I'm trying to think of something else you could top it with besides fishsticks. I'll let you know if I come up with something! Hey, maybe chicken nuggets or something of that sort!

Barbara H. said...

I'd never heard of this. It looks worth a try! Every now and then fish sticks just hit the spot.

Jewel said...

I got the recipe from a Quick Cooking magazine and tweaked it a bit. Ed and I don't usually eat fishsticks but Daniel and Erin do so I actually fixed this the first time for them and they love it!!

Jewel said...

And yes, Barbara, sometimes something as simple as fishsticks is what ya want, hm?! :-)