Friday, January 11, 2008

Friends

How can one adequately express or explain the value and worth of good friends? I have been so blessed with many wonderful friends. They are all so different, yet we fit together so well. I only pray that I am as good a friend to them as they are to me.
I think what brought this on was that I have been talking to my friend, Cindy, a little more than usual this week. My, but we do laugh and have such a great time when we talk and visit. And we have been known to shed a tear or two as we talk of the Lord and His goodness to us. Now, sometimes months will go by that we don't talk but then when we do, we just pick up where we left off. Cindy was the first person to ever really talk to me about the Lord and this apostolic truth. That was about 38 years ago. We've both married since then, had children. She has grandchildren. I've given her piano lessons a time or two. Our lives have been intertwined.
I have friends who are quite a bit older than me. And friends who are much younger. Age does not matter. I just have such a thankfulness in my heart this evening for my friends. What a treasure they are and a blessing from the Lord.

"Two are better than one, because they have a good reward for their toil. For if they fall, one will lift up his fellow. But woe to him who is alone when he falls and has not another to lift him up!"
Ecclesiastes 4:9-10

A friend is one who knows us, but loves us anyway. -- Fr. Jerome Cummings

“This is my commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. 13 Greater love has no one than this, that someone lay down his life for his friends. 14 You are my friends if you do what I command you. 15 No longer do I call you servants, for the servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all that I have heard from my Father I have made known to you." John 15:12-15

"Remember, the greatest gift is not found in a store nor under a tree, but in the hearts of true friends." -- Cindy Lew

"Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure. "-- Jewish Saying

"A friend loves at all times, and is born, as is a brother, for adversity." Proverbs 17:17

"Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you." -- Elbert Hubbard

"Oil and perfume rejoice the heart; so does the sweetness of a friend's counsel that comes from the heart." Proverbs 27:9

"Who finds a faithful friend, finds a treasure." -- Jewish saying

"What is a friend? A single soul dwelling in two bodies."-- Aristotle

"The only way to have a friend is to be one." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Hold a true friend with both your hands. "-- Nigerian Proverb

"A faithful friend is the medicine of life." -- Apocrypha

"Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same."-- Anonymous

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jewel,
That was a lovely post. I liked the quotes. We took my grandmother to a restaurant to celebrate her birthday on Saturday and I got a huge surprise when I discovered that one of my great friends had just started working there. I felt a bit funny being waited on by him and I told him and he replied "Dont feel like that, I'ts a pleasure to wait on friends".
Cheers,
Andrew

Jewel said...

How wonderful for you, Andrew. It is so great when we "accidentally" meet old friends we haven't seen for a long while,hm? And I am sure he loved waiting on you, Andrew. I hope things are going well in your part of the world. ((HUGS))

Stace said...

I like the Ralph Waldo Emerson one... the only way to obtain friends is to put yourself out there and be friendly. That can be hard sometimes, but it pays off!

Rochelle said...

This made me appreciate my friends all the more. Thank you for sharing this.

Jewel said...

You are so right, Stace. It isn't always easy maintaining friendships but it is so worth it!
You're welcome, Rochelle. We must never underestimate the value of our dearest friends.