Tuesday, January 18, 2011

My Wordy Wednesday Hodgepodge!!!


Okay, you have been warned. :-) Some of my answers are a bit lengthy. I can't help myself!!! (You understand this, hm, Joyce?) :-)
Sooooo, here is my Wednesday Hodgepodge! Click on Joyce's blog to join in the fun!!



1. Do you like your name? Were you named after someone? If you have children how did you settle on their names?
Yes, I do. My full name is Jewel Bell (Peters) Cavinee. Now get this: My parents were William and Betty. My sibs, from oldest to my twin are Bill, Bev, Debbie, and Johnny. So my parents get to me and call me Jewel Bell!! Now, I don't mind at all but I just thought it was kind of strange that they all had such common names and it's like they just kind of went cahrazzzzyy when it came to naming me! :-)

Long before I met Ed, I knew that if I ever had a son, I would name him Daniel. You see, my sister Debbie had some dear friends that helped her and her children during some of the worst times of their lives. Debbie struggled with mental illness and she and the kids had very little. Dave and Brenda were a god-send to them during this time.

Well, they had a little boy whose name was Daniel. Daniel was crippled and had to wear leg braces and use crutches but he had the most radiant spirit in spite of his adversities. I just loved that little guy and just always knew that I would name my son after him.

Many, many years later, when I worked at the library, a young man and woman came into the library as I was working the checkout desk. Though I was busy, I noticed that he was on crutches and had a difficult time walking. They smiled and said hello.

When they came to check out their books, I could hardly believe it. It was Daniel!!! THE Daniel! And he still possessed that radiant spirit!! It was quite a reunion right there in the library. Though he barely remembered me, I could tell that he was quite touched when I shared this same story with him and showed him pictures of his namesake.

AND.......the Bible also says that Daniel had an "excellent spirit". (Daniel 6:3)

2. How do you define success?
To finally be comfortable with who I am. To be genuinely me and to be able to be my genuine self with others. To be comfortably confident and to feel that I am making a difference in my small part of the world, with the help of the Lord.

3. Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy?
Wheel of Fortune because I have more time to think about the answers and I just don't know that much random knowledge to be very good at Jeopardy, PLUS I'm just not crazy about Alex Trebek *sp*. I seldom watch either show but would definitely choose Wheel of Fortune. AND I might add that I AM pretttyyyy good at it BUT as Ed says, everytime I tell him he needs to take me OUT there and put me on the show......"You'd probably bomb!" :-) I've oftened wondered if I would do as well as I do here at home! I'll probably never know! :-) But it's a nice daydream!!


4. If you could own any single object that you don't have now, what would that object be?
I am really thinking about this one and having some difficulty coming up with an answer. Soooooo.......I will say a new Roland keyboard with weighted keys. *sighhhhh*


5. What is something that inspires you?
The Word of the Lord
I never cease to be amazed to find help for every situation that life presents within its pages. Thank you, Lord.

6. Meatloaf-yea or nay? If its a yay how do you make yours?
A definite "yay"! Here is my favorite recipe!

7. Which is more admirable-the ability to organize and be methodical or the ability to adapt and make do?
Well, I think there are admirable qualities to each persona, actually. I mean, if we were all methodical and organized, life would be pretty regimented and boring and t.o.r.t.u.r.e. for someone like ME! :-)
While, on the other hand, if everyone was adaptable and make-do types....like moi'.... we would be living in chaos. Not that I live in chaos. No, no. If you came to my house, you would think it was tidy and neat BUT I know where the disorganization is! Trust me on this. :-)
So, my conclusion of the whole matter is that both are good and we definitely need the two in order to live a balanced existence! :-) Thank you, Jesus. (He knew what He was doing!)


8. Insert your own random thought here.
This was taken from the back of our Sunday church bulletin this past week:
God's creatures can sometimes be illustrations of important truths. If a buzzard is placed in a small pen, it will be totally imprisoned, even though the pen is not covered. For, despite their ability to fly, buzzards always run eight to ten feet before taking off, and without that space to run, they will not even attempt to fly.
]The ordinary bat cannot take off from a level place. If placed on flat ground or on a floor, it ca only shuffle around helplessly until it comes to a slight elevation from which to launch itself into the air, where it is then able to fly with remarkable agility.
A bumblebee, if dropped into an open tumbler, will be there until it dies, because it cannot see the means of escape at the top. Instead, it will persist in trying to find a way out through the sides near the bottom, seeking a way where none exist.
People are in many ways like the buzzard, the bat and the bumblebee. We struggle along with our problems and frustrations, never realizing that all we have to do is look up to the Lord for help.
In Psalm 121, David said: "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth." (KJV)

~ by Paul J. Twist



4 comments:

Joyce said...

I love that story about your son's name! I have always loved the name too and wanted to use it but it would have been a mouthful with our surname. And then of course I had daughters : ) Daniel and Peter are my favorites in the Bible....

Barbara H. said...

Love the story about naming Daniel! Like your definition of success, too.

I do pretty well at Wheel, too, at home, but the pressure of being actually on the show would probably do me in. Did you know there is a Facebook application for Wheel? :-)

Jewel said...

Thanks, Joyce! Yes, Peter and Daniel are two of my favorites also. If Daniel had been a girl he would have been Emily Diana or Elizabeth Diana. :-) Did you have boy names picked out for your girls? Well, I mean besides "Daniel"?
Thanks, Barbara. I have Wheel of Fortune on my computer....a CD. I don't play many games online because of having dial-up. Sometimes it takes them awhile to load and all. But I may take a look at the one on FB and see how it does for me! Thanks!

Nel said...

Love the story about your son's name! Enjoyed all your answers. I toyed with the idea of a Keyboard, would love to try and play again, but the Embroidery Sewing Machine one out, lolol. I am not a big chocolate eater either, but every once in awhile I will eat the chocolate and biscuits with my grandkids. Hope you have a wonderful week my dear friend!
until next time... nel