Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Wednesday's Random Dozen


Linda, who usually hosts the Random Dozen, is busy helping to take care of a dear friend who is sick, so this week's questions are being hosted by South Lakes Mom at I Didn't Know That! So click on over there and join the fun with the rest of us!!! :-)



1. What is your favorite sign of Spring?

Seeing the faint color of the trees budding out. As I drive up the highway, I always look for the slight fringe of color at the very tips of the branches of the trees. Some are green, some are a dark red. I always look forward to this. :-) The trees that line the river or streams are the first to bud out, I've noticed through the years.

2. Did you remember to spring forward on March 14? If not, how did it impact your day?

Oh yes, my DH is always on top of the time changes in the spring and fall! :-)

3. If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what vegetable would you plant in a garden this year?

Tomatoes! I love homegrown tomatoes! Ours just haven't done very well.....ever. We've tried everything! Sooooo, I usually get them from friends, neighbors or a vegetable stand. But I have to be a bit cautious because if I eat too many homegrown tomatoes I get canker sores in my mouth....oweeeee! And then it is almost impossible to eat those luscious tomatoes! Oweee!! BUT the store-bought tomatoes don't bother me at all. BUT they don't have any thing close to the taste of homegrown tomatoes, hm? *sigh* Oh, and canned tomato products don't affect me either.

4. If soil, time, talent and climate were no problem, what fruit would you plant?

Raspberries!!! I looooove sweet raspberries!

5. What is your least favorite insect?
Spiders!!! Without a doubt!!!


6. March 22 was World Water Day. To celebrate, here are some water questions. Do you drink bottled water? If so, what brand?
Yes. Any brand that is on sale, though I love the blue-tinted bottles, i.e. Dasani. The water just seems crisper, cooler, more refreshing when it comes from one of these bottles! :-) I know, I know....it's all psychological!
We use our bottles over. At least some of them. We try to keep fresh bottles available for company but, for our own use, we use the bottles much more than once by just refilling them.

And let me say that we watched a segment on 20/20 some time ago that proved that bottled water is almost always created equal. Taste-testers actually preferred Costco and Walmart water to brandnames, really PRICEY brandnames that I can't recall at the moment. :-/


7. Have you ever been somewhere that it was not safe to drink the local water? If so, how did you handle that?

No, not that I can recall.

8. How many glasses of water do you drink per day?

At least 4 and most days I get the recommended 8.

9. March 24 is the birthday of Harry Houdini. Have you ever watched a professional magic show? Share.

No. But I have seen a couple of REALLY good amateur magic shows.

10. Have you ever been a participant in a professional magic show (up on stage!)?
Uh, no. :-)


11. March 24 is also the birthday of Steve McQueen and Clyde Barrow. Do you like Westerns or gangster movies? If so, what is your favorite?

I've never cared for gangster movies but I do like a good western once in awhile. Two of our family favorites are Lonesome Dove and Return to Lonesome Dove.

12. (Really random) What U.S. state that you've never visited would you like to visit someday?

California. I would love to see San Francisco, the Bay Bridge, the coastline all the way up to Washington, the Sequoia National Park....just sooooo many wonderful sights!

8 comments:

Joyce said...

Have you ever tried the hanging tomato growing contraptions? I can't think what they're called but my sister had great luck with it last year and I'm thinking of trying one this year.

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

My wife will scream out a hearty "Amen" to your spider answer. I've been called on many a time to dispatch them.

I'm more of a western watcher too. I like John Wayne and all the Louis L'Amour stories that have been made into movies, especially those starring Tom Selleck & Sam Elliot.

Barbara H. said...

I am not a big tomato fan, but I prefer homegrown to store bought.

Kim said...

That's so sad about how too many tomatoes affect you :-( I'm not sure I could ever get enough of them! Ours haven't done so well either, but we've only been here 18 months. Our winter tomatoes actually did better than the ones this summer. We keep trying different things and hope to "get it right" one of these times :-)

Had one day in San Fran, mostly business but did hit Chinatown for an hour and the Pier for a quick bite to eat. I'd love to go back when we had more time! And driving up the coast sounds fabulous. So many places, so little town!

Stephani Cochran said...

I've been waiting all week for your new post, glad to see it! I loved Lonesome Dove! Haven't seen it in years though. You're doing better than me on how much water your getting, but then again I think everyone is! Aren't you glad spring is here? Have a blessed week Jewel!

Pam from alertandorientedx4 said...

I love raspberries, too...I think they taste like roses smell. I started taking a weight mgmt class at Curves today and was told that if you consume <64 oz of water a day, you just retain it, but more than, and you flush your system. I guess it makes sense...

Mary said...

I think your raspberry answer is the first one I've seen! What great answers!

SouthLakesMom said...

Mmmm....picking sun-warmed tomatoes from the garden and eating them...one of the best summer indulgences. Unfortunately, we have too much shade to grow anything!

And I, too, love the 'fuzz' on the trees that just give that first hint of spring! It reminds me that our God keeps His promises!

Thank you for participating in Random Dozen!