Saturday, February 14, 2009

Our Valentine's Day Drive

Ed and I got up early this morning and went for a drive. I have never been to McConnelsville or Stockport, which are little towns on the Muskingum River. So that is where we headed. Though it was a bit chilly and snow was flurrying about, we had such a good time. We originally planned to have lunch at the Stockport Inn,
but upon arriving discovered that they were having a private wedding at their facility, so we had lunch at a neat 50's diner in McConnelsville instead. It even had a jukebox! Yes! *smile*
Okay, the smallest Kroger store in the world must be this one in McConnelsville! I could hardly believe it! I just had to take a picture! (It doesn't take much to excite me,k? *smile*)
McConnelsville has many beautiful and historic buildings. Here are a few other pictures that I took:
In the picture above, in the middle of the building is the old opera house which is now a movie theater. We peeked in the window and could see that it was absolutely beautiful inside. I wish we could have gone in, but it was closed.
Above, is the courthouse which is located on the traffic circle in the center of town. Below is a beautiful Methodist church.

Oh, and there's one more picture to post. You see, as we were approaching our turn to go into Stockport, there was a sign that said: "Big Bottom Memorial ahead". Wellllll, I told Ed we HAD to go see THAT! I mean, a memorial to big butts? Hello? *smile* But, as it turns out, it wasn't that at all. It was a memorial to the Big Bottom Massacre which ocurred during the Revolutionary War on the bottomland in this area near the Muskingum River.
And while I'm posting pictures, I might as well post one of my gorgeous little grandbaby! *smile* Okay, make that TWO! Pictures, that is, not grandbabies! *smile* He will be 9 weeks old Monday!

5 comments:

Sir Nottaguy-Imadad said...

"Memorial to big butts" Snort!

Stace said...

Lovely pics... what's Kroger?? I would have loved to see an actual memorial to big butts... for, as we all know, "big bottomed girls, you make the rockin' world go round!!"

Jewel said...

LOL....I know, Sir! As Stace says below, seems like there SHOULD be one!
We had a lovely day, Denise! I just love to take leisurely drives to places I haven't been before and sometimes to place I HAVE been. Hope you are having a good weekend and that LB is doing better.
Well, Stace, Kroger is a grocery store chain here in Ohio and possibly 3 or 4 other surrounding states. It has been around as long as I can remember. I don't know that particular song about big tushes, but I remember well the one in Shrek! *smile*

chantell said...

In that first picture of your grandbaby, he looks JUST like your son. Wow.

Jewel said...

That's what most everyone says, Chantell....that he looks like his daddy!