Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Happenings of the past few days!

Daniel's baseball team had a wooden bat tournament this past weekend. He plays for the American Legion Post 78 here in Logan. They had the championship game at two o'clock on Sunday afternoon. Ed went but I didn't because I knew that I couldn't go sit in the hot, humid sun and be any good for church in the evening. Anyway, I was getting ready to lay down for my Sunday afternoon nap, when the phone rang. It was Ed telling me that Daniel went down on his first warm-up pitch. He pulled a groin muscle. Well, the mother in me wanted to race up to the ball field and help my baby, BUT I controlled myself and stayed home, fretting and praying.....sounds a bit contradictory, hm? Then the phone rang. It was the boy:
"Hey, buddy, how are you doing?"
He told me he was in quite a bit of pain but was sitting in the dugout. Someone had given him motrin and gotten him an ice pack. He asked me what to do for a pulled groin muscle so I told him I would look up info on the internet. So I did. Not much you can do but rest, ice the affected area and wear a snug undergarment for support. So I called him back and told him the news. 1-2 weeks till the pain subsides/possibly 5-6 weeks of recovery. I think he is probably done for the season as far as baseball is concerned. *sigh* I know he is disappointed.
So after we talked for awhile....I am so thankful he called me *feeble grin*......I again attempted to lay down for my nap. I was laying on my back, dozed off and woke myself up because I jerked so hard in my sleep and wrenched my back, of all things!!! Sheesh!!! Butttt....I am better now, three days later!
Erin took her state boards for her massage therapy license yesterday morning. She said she might not know if she passed until August! I'm sure she passed. Erin is so smart! She was Valedictorian of her graduating class AND won the senior talent contest!!
Backtracking a little here.....Daniel is on crutches. Erin borrowed a pair from her grandmother, Sis. Pullin. Well, Daniel thought they were going to be these ancient wooden things, but when Erin went to get them late Sunday night, Sis. Pullin came out with a pair of aluminum ones, saying she just knew Daniel would want the Cadillac of crutches!! She does know Daniel!! *smile*
I am enjoying the rain today. First of all, we need the rain and secondly, it just makes the house seem so cozy and I don't feel the need to be outside doing all kinds of stuff, because I can't.....IT'S RAINING!
Oh, I wanted to share a couple of easy recipes that I have fixed the past couple of days. On Sunday, Father's Day, I fixed Sunday dinner because I know that Ed really prefers to eat at home, though we have been eating out quite a bit for dinner on Sunday, which I kind of like. Anyway, I fixed boneless pork chops in the crockpot. I buy these at Super Thrift. They are kind of small and come about 6 or 7 in a package. I browned them in a little oil first, seasoning them salt and pepper and Montreal Steak Seasoning. I sprayed my crockpot with cooking spray and put the pork chops in it. I then mixed up a box of stovetop stuffing and placed it on top of the pork chops. Next, I mixed a can of mushroom soup with some water until it was the consistency of gravy and poured and spread it out on top of the dressing. I cranked the old crockpot up on high until we left for church (about an hour), turning it back to low when we left. When we came home about three hours later, I fixed some delicious green beans and we sat down to a yummy dinner! This is one of my favorite dishes. You can also fix this same dish with chicken! Give it a try! It is so easy and absolutely scrumptious.
I have been using my crockpot and outdoor grill alot since the weather has been so hot and humid.
Yesterday I fixed pepper steak in the crockpot. I cut up about 2 1/2 pounds of sirloin steak into serving size pieces. I browned and seasoned this in a small amount of oil. I transferred it to the crockpot which I had sprayed with cooking spray. On top of the steak I put a couple of green peppers, cored and cut into slivers, a large sweet onion peeled sliced and separated into rings, a can of mushrooms/drained, and a can of stewed tomatoes with the juice. I salt and peppered this generously and also added some more Montreal Steak Seasonings. I let this cook on high for about three hours. I then thickened the liquid up with a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with a little water. I just added this to the steak, vegetables and liquid, mixing it in very gently. It thickened into a really nice sauce. I made some mashed potatoes and we were good to go!! It was wonderful!!! I cut up cantaloupe for dessert!
I hope you are all having a good day! I love the sound of rain on the roof!! Another wave just arrived!

No comments: